- The Nigerian military has continued to succeed in the war against insurgency in Northeast
- The Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, reiterated that the military had secured the Northeast from Boko Haram
- He attributed the success to the combined efforts of other members of the Armed Forces
The Chief of Air Staff, Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, on Friday said the military had successfully stabilised and secured the Northeast from Boko Haram insurgents.
Abubakar said this in Port Harcourt at a skills acquisition and vocational training graduation ceremony for 150 youths.
The News Agency of Nigeria(NAN) reports that the training was organised by the Nigerian Air Force Officers’ Wives Association (NAFOWA).
READ ALSO: Nigeria facing worst corruption scandal under APC - Wike reacts to alleged $26b scandal
He attributed the success to recent air and ground bombardments of Boko Haram stronghold as well as combined efforts of other members of the Armed Forces.
“We are not aware of any national security issue (in the North-East). What I am aware of is that we have done substantially well in stabilising and securing the North-East.
“Looking at Maiduguri itself, you will never believe that there was any security challenge there. This is so because there is no security challenge.
“What we are just doing is to mop up what is still remaining (insurgents). We are doing substantially well and making substantial progress.
“We had the Operation Ruwan Wuta – a ten-day bombardment day-and-night operation that substantially reduced s*icide bombings and eliminated organised attacks (by insurgents),” he said.
The chief of air staff said the military had recorded several successes in the North-East and in other regions of the country since the current administration took office in 2015.
He commended NAFOWA for its support to the less privileged, particularly the assistance provided to Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) in the country.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app
NAIJ.com previously reported that Governor Kashim Shettima of Borno state on Thursday, October 5, said that 52,311 children in the state were orphaned by Boko Haram insurgency in the northeast.
Shettima disclosed this in Maiduguri during the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the state government, Fadama III and the World Bank (WB).
He also disclosed that some 54,911 women were widowed by the crisis.
Boko Haram abducted my husband and the Gov't forgot about him - on NAIJ.com TV