Police unveil new strategy against terror

Police unveil new strategy against terror

THE Nigeria Police Force (NPF) announced yesterday that it has taken a drastic step towards arresting the spate of violence unleashed on parts of the country by Boko Haram.

According to Deputy Force Relations Officer, Frank Mbah, a fresh operation code has been worked out following the attacks on churches in Kaduna and Zaria last Sunday in which scores of people were killed and several others wounded.

Speaking with journalists at the Force Headquarters in Abuja, he said some steps had been taken by the police authority in Abuja to ensure that the calm that returned after the attack on Sunday was not disrupted and as well see that the riot did not spill over to neighbouring states.

“The Inspector-General of Police has mobilised additional conventional and mobile policemen to those who are on 24-hour patrol and he has also beefed security in the neighbouring states to forestall a spill-over to other states. There is surveillance in Kaduna and adjoining states to ensure that it does not spill over”, he said.

The Deputy Inspector-General of Police (DIG) in charge of administration, Suleiman Fakai and the Assistant Inspector-General of Police (AIG) in charge of Zone 7, Suleiman Abba, have been dispatched to Kaduna to supervise the operation.

“I can confirm that to demonstrate the seriousness of the police, the Deputy Inspector-General of Police (DIG) ‘A’ and the AIG in charge of Zone 7 are in Kaduna to ensure that the code works and from the reports we have, calm has returned to the place. We call on peace-loving Nigerians to go about their legitimate duties and the police are ready to give them adequate protection”, Mbah said.

He, however, was tight-lipped on the operation code, saying that it was a security matter.

Meanwhile, the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has expressed dismay over relentless terrorist activities, which have resulted in the death of several innocent Nigerians.

The National Publicity Secretary of the party, Chief Olisa Metuh, said that understandably, the level of killings was bound to cause despondence among Nigerians but assured that the situation would soon end. The party called on Nigerians to stand strong in the face of adversity.

Metuh said: “We survived the civil war, we survived the military dictatorship and we have over the years overcome several challenges which would have brought a weaker country to its knees. Nigeria will remain strong and united until this too passes.”

The party also commended President Goodluck Jonathan for remaining resolute in the fight against terrorism in spite of the concerted efforts to undermine the unity and peaceful co-existence in Nigeria.

The PDP called on Nigerians to stand firm and defeat agents of retrogression, saying “it is time for all well-meaning Nigerians to rise up and demonstrate the true Nigerian spirit by refusing to be provoked into taking irrational reprisal attacks against one another which will further exacerbate the problem rather than solve it.”

Nigeria, according to the PDP, has “advanced too far as a united, peaceful and democratic nation and can never surrender its sovereignty regardless of the challenges presented by the current rise in terrorism.”

Some terrorists attacked some churches in Kaduna and Zaria last Sunday killing many people and injuring a large number of people.

Related news

President Buhari approves appointment of 2 Supreme Court judges

President Buhari approves appointment of 2 Supreme Court judges

President Buhari approves appointment of 2 Supreme Court judges