• 370


Katsina: Fire Destroys Emir's Palace

Katsina: Fire Destroys Emir's Palace

Katsina: Fire Destroys Emir's Palace

An early morning inferno, yesterday, gutted two rooms at the palace of the Emir of Katsina  with items worth millions of naira including jewelries allegedly destroyed.

It was gathered that the fire occurred around 3:15 am and lasted hours as it was finally put off around 6 am by the men of state fire service. Unconfirmed sources said the fire incidence which occurred as a result of electrical fault gutted two rooms believed to be rooms of the emir’s wives.

Although the emirate council declined to comment on the matter, it could not be said if the wives were present in the room when the disaster occurred. However, there are no reported cases of human casualty.

Our correspondent who visited the palace, yesterday, morning reported that sympathisers were seen trooping in to sympathise with the royal family even as a truck with the State Environmental Protection Agency (SEPA) mark was seen parked obviously ready to evacuate charred remains of the burnt rooms.

When contacted for confirmation, the deputy chief fire officer of the Katsina state fire service, Ali Kassim Bindawa, told our correspondent in a telephone chat that he could not comment until a clearance was sought from the commissioner of information who oversees the fire service department.

Related news

Mailfire view pixel