Lagos State Government said it had gotten approval of the Federal Government to replace the dilapidated pedestrian bridge located in Ilasamaja which is now a death trap to motorists and other road users, adding that the bridge would be pulled down on September 8 for reconstruction.
The state commissioner for works and Infrastructure, Dr Obafemi Hamzat, who revealed this in a statement obtained by our correspondent, said the contract for the bridge reconstruction had been awarded to Messrs PW Nig. Ltd.
Hamzat said the need to replace the bridge came from public complaints about its state of dilapidation, assuring that measures would be put in place to ensure the safety of residents.
The commissioner who said the process of replacement had commenced with the completion of the sub soil investigation, added that though the road belongs to the federal government, the state had sought and obtained the consent of federal authority so as to proactively replace the bridge.
Hamzat assured that its reconstruction work would be completed within the stipulated period of four months.
He stated also that the road component cannot be awarded without the completion of the bridge, adding that the state government usually phase its projects to ensure proper funding and adequate time frame for each of the projects.
The Commissioner also said with the completion of the Isopakodowo Market in Osodi, it would soon be offered to the targeted beneficiary with adequate mortgage facility to enable them repay the cost of purchase over a period of 15 – 20 years.
He added that adequate provision was being made to ensure that would be owners will be provided title documents that will ensure that the property are bankable and can be used as collateral for transactions.