There was a mild drama at the Ilesa Chief Magistrate’s Court, yesterday, at the on-going trial of Chief Matthew Ogedengbe (62), the second-in-command to Owa Obokun of Ijesaland, Oba Adekunle Aromolaran, when one Emmanuel Fadeyi, who had earlier sought for the order of the court to withdraw the suit he instituted against the chief, changed his mind to continue with the case.
Chief Ogedengbe is facing a three-count charge of stealing, breach of peace and unlawful destruction of property before the Chief Magistrate’s Court.
Fadeyi had reported Ogedengbe to the police for allegedly trespassing on his property in the Stadium area, Oke-Ibukun, Ilesa.
When the case came up, yesterday, for mentioning, Fadeyi through his counsel, Olusayo Ajewole, told the court that his client was no longer interested in withdrawing the case against Ogedengbe.
No reason was, however, given for the withdrawal letter which had already been placed before Chief Magistrate M. A. Lasisi.
The police prosecutor, Corporal Jimoh Mufutau, told the court that the complainant brought a letter of withdrawal of the case and later told him on phone that he was no longer interest in withdrawing the case against the accused person.
It was at this point that the counsel to the complainant, Ajewole, objected to the claim, saying that his client was no longer withdrawing the case against the accused person.
He said: “It was true that the complainant wanted to withdraw the case against the accused person, but he is no more interested in withdrawing the case.”
In his ruling, the Chief Magistrate Lasisi adjourned the case till August 22 for hearing.
Meantime, a 25-year-old man, Najeem Nurudeen, was yesterday, remanded by an Osogbo Magistrate’s Court over alleged armed robbery alongside two of his brothers who received the alleged stolen car and took false court oath to obtain its licence.