The man who may have been bitten by a shark as he body-surfed with his teenage son off the coast of Ballston Beach in Truro, Mass., is undergoing surgery today but is expected to live, officials said.
The attack happened around 3:30 p.m. Monday when Chris Myers, a father of two, was pulled under the water by what is believed to be a shark. Police say Myers was bit in both legs below the knees in possibly one single, crushing blow.
Myers was conscious and alert when authorities loaded him into an ambulance. He was taken in stable condition to Cape Cod Hospital in Hyannis and then transferred to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, according to WCVB.
“It was pretty deep. You could see muscle and bone,” Truro police officer Scott Holway said. “It was like his flesh had been ripped.”
Several witness say they saw a shark fin appear before the attack. Witnesses watched helplessly from the beach as Myers was pulled under the water. Myers soon surfaced and screamed for help.
“Suddenly something came up between them. It had a large dorsal fin,” Anne-Marie Corner, a Truro summer resident, told WCVB.
Sharks have been more visible along Cape Cod this summer. Experts say that’s because of a drastic increase of seals in the area.