The Federal Government on Monday deployed more troops in the headquarters of the Power Holding Company of Nigeria, Abuja. It warned that the soldiers would remain on the premises if the threat by the workers continued.
Soldiers and policemen were on Friday deployed in the Abuja head office of the PHCN over the workers’ dispute with the Federal Government on their pension and gratuities.
In a telephone interview with our correspondent in Abuja on Monday, the Minister of Power, Prof. Bart Nnaji, said the soldiers and the policemen would not be withdrawn for now.
The Chairman of the National Union of Electricity Employees, FCT Chapter, Mr. Wisdom Nwachukwu, had on Friday condemned the government over the deployment and threatened that the workers would not resume until the last soldier had been withdrawn from the office complex.
But Nnaji said on Monday that the government was justified given that the workers had started behaving in a disruptive manner “and we had to take steps to secure government property and installations.”
The minister said, “We required them to sign an undertaken of good behaviour before they could enter the complex.
“We spoke with their General Secretary and we agreed that they could enter the office as long as they conducted themselves in an orderly manner. Given the security situation in the country, we cannot allow the breakdown of law and order in any government establishment.”