Father-of-four Stephen Parsonage set his head on fire after using a whole can of hairspray before a night out - and then lighting a cigarette.
The 26-year-old mechanic, from Blackburn, Lancashire, was left with second degree burns on his face after his short brown hair was engulfed in flames two feet tall.
He had just put the finishing touches to his short style when his lighter ignited a mist left behind by the spray.
Mr Parsonage managed to put out the fire out with his hands, causing first degree burns, before firefighters and paramedics arrived at the scene.
He was taken to hospital and is hoping his face will not be scarred forever.
The car sprayer said today: 'It was the scariest time of my life.