Mr. Clement Alumona, 63, and seven other members of the same family from Uvuru, Uzo Uwani Local Government Area of Enugu State were said to have eaten a meal prepared from cassava flour and consequently took ill. Food poison lead to the death of one the Alumona’s, Bridget, aged four.
According to sources close to the family, the Clements’s wife, Veronica had bought dried cassava tubers which were milled into flour which they used in preparing the ‘alibo’ meal which is usually eaten with soup.
The other members of the family now, at the intensive care unit of the Bishop Shanahan Hospital, Nsukka. They include children: Evelyn 12; Christiana, 8; Frederick 6; and Francis who is one and a half years.
Hospital sources said that the surviving family members were taken to hospital on the night of Monday, adding that they were transfused with two pints of blood each. The victims were reportedly still vomiting and constant stooling of blood.
Dr. Oji Chimaroke who spoke on the issue at the hospital however, said that six members of the family have regained consciousness except Veronica, the mother of the house.