Syrian activists have reported a new massacre in the central Hama province, saying government forces killed more than 200 people in shelling and other attacks.
There were few details of attack on Traimseh village, which was reported late on Thursday by several activist groups.
A statement by the Hama Revolutionary Council said: “More than 220 people fell today in Traimseh. They died from bombardment by tanks and helicopters, artillery shelling and summary executions.”
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said it was aware more than 100 were killed from sources on the ground, but the group had only confirmed the names of 30 people so far.
“Every family in the town seems to have members killed. We have names of men, women and children from countless families,” he said, adding that many of the bodies were taken to a local mosque.
“We’re hearing from activists that it started at 5am this morning, when the village was surrounded by government forces and pro-government militias,” said Al Jazeera’s Rula Amin, reporting from Beirut.
“Bodies were found of people killed by knives, and some bodies burnt,” our correspondent said. “But exactly what happened is still not very clear.”
“The activists are telling us this is a village surrounded by pro-government villages in the countryside of Hama. The government does acknowledge there was fighting in that area, but they don’t talk about a massacre.”
If the accounts are accurate, the incident would be the worst of its kind in the rebellion against the rule of President Bashar al-Assad that began 16 months ago.