Washington, U.S. — A Nigerian man allegedly involved with al-Qaida at the time of the Sept. 11 attack has been indicted by a federal grand jury in Brooklyn, N.Y., marking the second time this month the Obama administration has announced criminal charges against suspected terrorists.
Ibrahim Suleiman Adnan Adam Harun was charged in U.S. District Court with conspiring to murder U.S. nationals abroad, plotting to bomb U.S. government facilities in Africa and other offenses. He could be sentenced to life in prison if convicted.
Harun, a Saudi native with Nigerien citizenship, is not expected to enter a plea to the allegations until his first open-court appearance, on Friday.
The decision to try Harun in civilian court brought a sharp protest from Republican lawmakers, similar to the outcry when Sulaiman abu Ghaith, a senior al-Qaida leader and Osama bin Laden's son-in-law, was named in a separate federal court indictment unsealed in New York on March 7.
The GOP critics think that defendants are more valuable undergoing interrogations for intelligence information and should be tried in military commissions at the U.S. naval base at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
"The administration's continued insistence on criminalizing the war on terror by granting foreign terrorists constitutional rights, including the right to remain silent, is a troubling pattern," said Sen. Kelly Ayotte, R-N.H. She said it surrendered "critical opportunities to obtain intelligence that can help save American lives and prevent future attacks."
But federal officials made it clear that they planned to push forward in civilian court.
"Harun not only intended to but did commit acts of terrorism against Americans," FBI Assistant Director George Venizelos said yesterday. "Now he is subject to the American justice system."
According to federal law-enforcement officials in New York, Harun was secretly indicted in February of last year and was taken into U.S. custody Oct. 4 when he was extradited from Italy after being arrested by Italian authorities on a refugee ship bound for that country.
The indictment alleges that Harun, 43, traveled to Afghanistan just before the Sept. 11 attack, joined the terrorist network and began receiving military-type training at its camps.