The recent attack on Nigerian Embassy building in Dakar, Senegal was as a result of alleged disappearance of death body of a Nigerian from a hospital morgue, Nigerian Ambassador to Senegal,
Mrs. Katyen Jackden, has said. Speaking before members of the House of Representatives committee on Foreign Affairs yesterday in Abuja, Mrs. Jackden said the body of a Nigerian by name Kingsley Irogbulam was said to have disappeared from a hospital’s morgue in Dakar. According to Jackden,
Mr Irogbulam was allegedly pushed out of a moving taxi about October last year, an action that led to the arrest of five persons already facing trial in Dakar, but that when the burial committee, headed by one Pastor Vitalis Ugor made efforts to recover his body for burial in February, it was curiously informed that the body had been disposed of.
She further disclosed that on getting the information, the embassy responded by urging the Senegalese authorities to ensure a thorough investigation into the killing and also approved CFA95,000 (about US $200) to assist the burial committee procure a casket as well as pay the grave diggers and transport the body for burial.
She said the enraged Nigerians reportedly broke into Nigeria’s embassy building on February 4, 2013 and attack staff members, as well desecrating the Nigerian flag and destroyed other property, after subduing the security guards at the gate. “If we do not use Senegal (the incident) as an example, it will happen elsewhere. There must be a disincentive for that,” said Rep. Nnenna Elendu-Ukeje who chairs the Foreign Affairs committee.