Residents of Kajola-Ijesha in Atakumosa West Local Government Area of Osun State were thrown into mourning following the death of four members of a family who were burnt to death in a mid night inferno that razed their house, Monday night.
Those who lost their lives were the father, mother and two of their children, while two other children who went for night prayers escaped.
Property, including furniture, electronics, cooking utensils and other household materials were burnt in the inferno.
An officer of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, who preferred anonymity, said the fire was caused as a result of power surge, stressing that the entire house was affected.
The NSCDC member said: “We have been to the scene and found out that the incident happened as a result of the return of power to the house by the Power Holding Company of Nigeria, PHCN. There was no light when the family slept but the high voltage power came at midnight and caused the incident.”
It was learnt that the two children who escaped the fire incident were at a vigil, and encouraged other members of the family to attend the prayer programme but they declined.
The state’s Deputy Governor, Mrs. Grace Laoye-Tomori, who visited the scene of the incident expressed shock and concern at the death of the four family members, promising that the state government would take care of the remaining two children.
Tomori who gave some undisclosed amount to the eldest child of the deceased parents admonished the residents of Kajola to be vigilant.