Tragedy struck in Apata area of Jos North after a 28- year-old electrician was electrocuted while trying to fix a problem on an electricity pole in the area.
The victim, identified as Chukwuebuka Eze, was also said to be a musician, having presented an album recently.
Eze, according to eyewitnesses, climbed the pole in Agwan Lambu quarters around 12:05pm in a bid to change the supply phase to his shop. It was while he was in the process of doing so that the Power Holding of Nigeria suddenly restored supply.
He was instantly electrocuted. His shirt caught fire and burnt out even as his body remained hanging on the wires.
A loud spark was said to have followed the incident, which attracted passersby and neighbours who watched helplessly.
A neighbour of the deceased, who came out and saw him on fire and dangling from the pole described the incident as “terrible and horrifying.”
Some onlookers rushed to PHCN office to lodge a report for the electricity supply to the area to be cut off.
It took the combined effort of PHCN officials and some concerned residents to bring down the corpse of the deceased from the pole. The corpse was later taken away by the PHCN officials accompanied by three policemen.