Manchester United have made a second bid for Barcelona and Spain midfielder Cesc Fabregas, boss David Moyes has confirmed. United announced last week that they had made a first offer for the former Arsenal star, and Moyes said at a press conference in Yokohama that a second offer had been lodged.
Executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward returned to the United Kingdom ahead of schedule on Wednesday to carry out some urgent transfer business, and Moyes confirmed, “As I understand it, Ed had a response (to the first offer). We have made a second offer but Ed is dealing with it rather than me.”
So far, United have not made any new signings this summer, other than Uruguay Under-20 star Guillermo Varela.
And whilst Moyes accepts there may come a time when he has to walk away from the deal, that position has not been reached yet.
“I think a point does come,” said Moyes.
“But when you are interested in good players you want to give it every opportunity to materialise. I will hope things will continue to move forward.
“At this moment in time I can only tell you Ed Woodward is working hard to try and make the deals happen. We hope some of them will fall into place shortly.”
Barcelona have not made any official comment, but the situation has reportedly been complicated by the managerial vacancy created at the Nou Camp by Tito Vilanova’s decision to step down because of ill health.
It is not clear whether Chelsea’s pursuit of United striker Wayne Rooney has any bearing on the club’s attempts to sign Fabregas.
The Spaniard came through Barcelona’s La Masia academy before Arsenal signed him as a 16-year-old in 2003.
He developed as one of the London club’s key players under manager Arsene Wenger before becoming Arsenal captain in November 2008.
Fabregas spent eight years with the Gunners, playing 303 games and scoring 57 goals, but returned to Barcelona in a five-year deal worth £25.4m in 2011 and has helped them win the Copa del Rey in 2011-12 and La Liga in 2012-13.