Your sex dreams explained
1. You're being cheated on. Dreaming that your partner is cheating on you can be an unsettling experience to say the least, but if you’ve just woken up from this kind of dream armed with a pillow to whack your other half with, hang fire for one moment; dreams about cheating rarely mean that your partner is being unfaithful. Indeed, dream analyst Gillian Holloway explains that this kind of vision is down to feelings of emotional abandonment. For example, if your partner has been working more than usual, it’s common to feel like you’re literally being ‘cheated’ out of your time with them. Phew! Step away from the pillow...
2. You're searching for places to get it on! Have you spent your night tirelessly searching around with your partner for the perfect place to get passionate? Dream expert Gillian Holloway explains that this kind of vision suggests a lack of intimacy with your other half and that you’re looking to spice things up a little. Other common underlying meanings to this dream involve feelings of anxiety about what the future holds or worrying about mismatched goals with your partner.
3. You can’t see his or her face. It’s quite common to dream about having sex with a lover whose face you just can’t seem to view. Who is this mysterious intruder beneath your sheets? This is a question that you may never find the answer to in the land of nod (damn it), but we do have an idea of what the dream actually means. Dream psychologist Ian Wallace explains that a sex scene with a faceless lover means that your subconscious is urging you to unmask your hidden talents – ooh! Undercover artist? Singer? Magician?
4. Sex with someone unexpected. You’ve dreamt that you’re getting your freak on with someone that you’ve never even thought of in ‘that’ way before such as your boss, your best buddy, or your whacky next door neighbour? Awkward! Don’t assume that this means you have a deep-rooted romantic desire to hook up with this person though. Dream analyst Patricia Garfield explains that dreaming of having sex with someone you would never usually think about in that way means that you probably admire a quality that this person possesses and that you rather fancy that quality for yourself.
5. Sex with someone inappropriate. More from YourTango: Who Is Pope Francis & What Does He Stand For? You’d never have an affair in your waking hours, particularly not with your best friend’s partner, yet last night you were all over him/her like a rash (in your dream, of course). Why is this? The first explanation is that you’re subconsciously curious about what it’s like to be with this person. To dig a little deeper into the symbolism behind sex with someone inappropriate, this dream often signals that you’re stuck in a rut. Whether it is in your life in general or your sex life specifically, it might be time to start spicing things up a little!
6. Lesbian dreams. Same-sex intimacy relationships are more common in women, although they do occur amongst heterosexual men too. The reason why they’re more common in women is because it tends to reveal a subconscious need for sensitivity. As females are often associated with nurturing, getting passionate with a female in a dream is a symbol of your desire to have someone care for you and be sensitive towards your feelings. Gay men may have heterosexual dreams about sleeping with women too, again usually because they desire a little female sensitivity.
7. Public sex. Having sex in front of onlookers usually means one of two things; if the crowd in your dream make you feel uncomfortable, the chances are you feel self-conscious about what others are thinking about your relationship in your waking hours. Worried that your best friend doesn’t approve of your new squeeze? This kind of scenario is a good explanation for public sex dreams.
Alternatively, if you’re feeling proud of your naughty – albeit imaginary – sex show, it’s a sign that you have a burning desire to shout about your sizzling sex life from the rooftops in real life.