Some hoodlums, numbering about 10, invaded the Palace of Olu of Igbokoda in the Ilaje Local Government of Ondo State on Saturday and vandalised the structure.
The hoodlums, who were armed with guns, cutlasses and other dangerous weapons, threatened to attack the traditional ruler of the town, Oba Afolabi Odidiomo.
According to a source, the invasion of the palace was a reprisal by the hoodlums, who wanted to revenge the death of one of them.
The source said some of the thugs had earlier invaded Ilaje High School in the town, where an inter school quiz and sport competition was disrupted on Friday.
Two of the hoodlums were arrested and taken to the palace, where they were handed over to the police.
Odidiomo alleged that the attack on his palace was masterminded by a prominent monarch in the area.
He traced the genesis of the attack to some few months after his installation, when Amepetu of Mahin installed two people within Igbokoda as Baale and Oloja.
The monarch explained that he frowned on the development since the two chiefs lived within his domain.
He claimed the Amapetu allegedly ordered some boys, known as ‘Mahin Task Force’, to provide security for the two chiefs.
He said, “I reported the development to Olugbo of Igboland, Oba Obateru Akinruntan, who promised to wade in the matter.
“There was also a parcel of land within Igbokoda, which was sold to the Ministry of Niger Delta Affairs at about N64m without my knowledge.
“I sent a petition to the ministry on the issue. A group of boys shot into my room through the window last year in an attempt to eliminate me.”
The monarch, however, said two of the hoodlums, who were apprehended by the people of Igbokoda last week for disturbing the peace of the town, had been handed over to the police.
The Amapetu could not be reached for comments but one of his chiefs in the kingdom, Chief Francis Mesagan, described the attack on the palace of Olu of Igbokoda as unfortunate.
The chief said, “Oba Omowole of Mahin kingdom single-handedly installed Odidiomo as the monarch of Igbokoda and will not be party to destroying the house he built.
He said the discovery of the corpse of the boy found in the river ignited the attack on Olu of Igbokoda’s palace by the people of the community and not from external forces, as claimed by the Odidiomo.
But Odidiomo maintained that the plot was hatched outside Igbokoda.
He said, “This is part of a sustained activities to rubbish me. Last November, they shot at me right in my bedroom.
Meanwhile, police authorities on Sunday confirmed the arrest and detention of eight people in connection with the attack on the Olu of Igbokoda and the destruction of his palace.
The Public Relations Officer of the state command, Mr. Wole Ogodo, said apart from three people, who were arrested on Saturday, additional five people were picked up on Sunday.
He said, “We cannot ascertain the financial implication of the property destroyed but it is very bad. The action is condemnable.
“All the eight people arrested are being investigated at the state CID to know their level of involvement.”