On the 28th of January 2013, GAPS Academy launched Africa’s first FREE interactive, integrated, multimedia pre-university examination preparatory programme.
The programme, called the 90-Day JAMB UTME Study Boot Camp targets young Nigerians writing the 2013 JAMB UTME.
On March 4th 2013, it launched a second platform – a FREE 90-Day WAEC SSCE Boot Camp for students in Ghana, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone and The Gambia writing the 2013 WAEC SSCE.
Over the 90-Day periods, GAPS Academy would be their study partners/companions.
The Key Objectives are: 1. Improve the exam success rate.
• Every year, over 3 Million Nigerian students sit for the various pre-higher institutions examinations. The failure rate in such examinations has become increasingly alarming especially in core subjects such as English, Mathematics and the Sciences.
• The 2012 JAMB/UTME results revealed that <5% of the 1,503,931 candidates passed the exams.
• The 2012 WAEC SSCE results revealed that 38.81% of the 1,695,878 candidates had credits in five subjects and above, including English Language and Mathematics.
• Reasons that have been adduced for the high failure rate include lack of access to quality teaching.
• By 2015, there are indications that some of these examinations would have some form of computer based testing. This would pose a challenge to candidates.
Rationale: With the proliferation of "magic centres" and websites offering candidates seemingly "guaranteed" answers to the questions before the exam date, our solution sets out to give these students “one less excuse to have one more reason to cheat”. We are advocating a "Practice Don't Cheat Campaign" using a "Practice and Win Campaign". Channels
• Online and mobile – the websites include
TV Tutorials are aired on NTA Knowledge (Channel 110) on StarTimes. StarTimes is available in 16 states and 22 cities.
Viewing Times (3 hours weekly)
Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays (5.30pm – 6pm)
Saturdays (12 noon – 1.30pm)
GAPS Academy 90-Day JAMB UTME Study Programme Half Way Report
• The JAMB UTME Study Programme has users come from over 33 states (including Abuja) and over 80 cities in Nigeria.
• The WAEC SSCE Study Programme has users from over 100 cities in West Africa.
* It is FREE
* A 90-Day Study Plan was created for 6 challenging subjects - Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, English Language and Economics
* Students can watch hundreds of video classes in these subjects at their convenience, anywhere and at any time
* Students can take daily practice tests on each subject during this period using our intelligent computer based testing application. The quiz application can be assessed by visiting www.quiz.gapsacademy.com . The quizzes are timed, randomised and display the results of each quiz immediately. The student can review each question to see the right answer. Also, there is a permanent record of each quiz. The student can track and monitor his/her performance.
* Students can ask questions and receive answers via SMS (+2348081202809), Blackberry Messenger (BB Pin 28C364FF), WhatsApp (+2348081202809), Email (email@example.com) , Facebook (www.facebook.com/GAPSAcademy and Twitter (www.twitter.com/GAPSAcademy), etc..
Launched in September 2012, GAPSAcademy.com is the first, largest and fastest growing integrated multimedia, equal opportunity, learning platform for Africans by Africans (by website traffic, number of videos, video views, content diversity, scope and public opinion). It is working with students, schools, teachers and parents to create helpful, interactive learning content for primary to postgraduate levels.
SOME QUICK FACTS
• It is Africa’s #1 learning website as ranked by Alexa.com
• It is one of the first educational initiative with simultaneous online, mobile and television formats
• Its users come from over 37 countries in Africa
• It has over 4,700 video classes making it the largest in Africa
• Its videos have been viewed over 50,000 times