President Goodluck Jonathan, would on Friday launch the reconstruction of the Lagos-Ibadan expressway, the Minister of Works, Mr Mike Onolememen, said yesterday.
Onolememen announced the planned inauguration by the President at a meeting with a delegation of the Association of Luxury Bus Owners of Nigeria (ALBON) in Abuja.
It would be recalled that the concession of the 178-kilometre road, which was granted Bi-Courtney Highway Services Limited, was earlier this year terminated by the Federal Government.
However, a fresh contract for the reconstruction of the expressway was subsequently awarded to Julius Berger Nigeria Plc for the Lagos – Shagamu interchange end of the expressway.
RCC Nigeria Ltd is also expected to handle the Shagamu – Ibadan axis of the expressway.
The minister said that the project had been awarded and the government was ready to see it completed in record time.
“The Lagos/Ibadan Expressway project as you know has been awarded and work will soon commence on it.
“However, may I use this opportunity to let you know that President Goodluck Jonathan will inaugurate the reconstruction and rehabilitation work on the Lagos/Ibadan road on Friday,” he said.
He said the President would perform the ceremony at the Shagamu interchange section of the road adding that the government was determined to address the sorry state of the expressway.
“We appreciate the comments you made admitting that our roads have improved and we invite you to join us at the launch which will be at the Shagamu interchange of the road.
“This drive is part of the ongoing transformation in the road sector and we hope that very soon Nigerians will come to appreciate our efforts to see that Nigerian roads are in good shape,” he said.