About 3,000 soldiers are to undergo counter-terrorism training to boost troops deployment in the ongoing offensive against insurgents in the country.
Director of Army Public Relations, Brig.-Gen. Ibrahim Attahiru, who said this at a media briefing in Abuja on Thursday, noted that the number would consist mainly the soldiers of the 69 Regular Recruits Intake that passed out from Depot Nigerian Army on June 14.
The DAPR said the soldiers were reporting for further counter-terrorism and counter-insurgency training in four different army training institutions in pursuance of the vision to transform the Nigerian Army into a force that was able to meet contemporary challenges.
He said the training would last for six weeks and cover aspects of house-breaking and clearing, urban patrol, unarmed combat, skill at arms, international humanitarian laws amongst others.
Attahiru added that the Army had reviewed its recruitment procedure to include pre-screening examination for soldiers, aimed at improving the quality of military personnel.
According to him, the Army Headquarters has procured new marking machines to enhance recruitment exercise.
“The machine would be put to use nationwide for the first time during the 70 Regular Recruitment Intake examination on June 22, 2013,” he said.
Attahiru hinted that the NA was investigating one Yahaya Shinko, who had been parading himself as a retired Major with the Nigerian Army.
The Director said Shinko was demoted from a Major to Second Lieutenant on disciplinary grounds for Absent Without Official Leave and was subsequently retired from Service in 1999.
Meanwhile, a specialist in terrorism, Major Raphael Tewogbola (retd.), has said military force employed by the Federal Government will curb Boko Haram insurgence.
Addressing a news conference to commemorate his 60th birthday anniversary, on Thursday, in Ile-Ife, Tewogbola said the frequency of Boko Haram attacks had decreased following the use of force by the government.