France will not negotiate with abductors who have taken a French family of seven hostage claiming to be Boko Haram, Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said on Tuesday.
The three adults and four children were seized in Cameroon's far north near the Nigerian border last week. In a video posted on the YouTube Channel on Monday, the gunmen threatened to kill them unless authorities in Nigeria and Cameroon release Muslim militants held there.
"We do not negotiate on these terms, with these groups," Defence Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said in a radio interview. "What we do is use all possible means to ensure the release of hostages, be they these or others. But we do not play this bidding game because that is terrorism."
He spoke a day after a video of the seven members of the family appeared on YouTube with their abductors who claimed to be from the Islamist extremist group Boko Haram and demanded the release of prisoners.
The number French citizens that have been kidnapped in the region is a total of 15, with the risk heightened since Paris sent thousands of troops into Mali last month to help the country oust Islamists operating in the north.
READ MORE HERE: VIDEO: Boko Haram Behind Kidnapping of French Family