Nigerian Defence HQ Says Close Associate Of Boko Haram Leader Is Dead

Nigerian Defence HQ Says Close Associate Of Boko Haram Leader Is Dead

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) on Tuesday said a terrorist believed to be a close associate of Boko Haram insurgents’ leader Abubakar Shekau, has been found dead this came as the Minister of Police Affairs Caleb Olubolade on Tuesday assured Nigerians that the security situation in the country would continue to improve following the joint efforts by security agencies.

A statement issued in Abuja and signed by Brig.-Gen. Chris Olukolade, the Director of Defence Information, said the deceased was believed to have died while running errands for Shekau.

The statement, which was salient on the true identity of the dead terrorist, said two other terrorists, one of which was confirmed to be a Nigerien, are now in the custody of the Multinational Joint Task Force.

It said the three terrorists were in the process of crossing the border to neighbouring Niger Republic through the Lake Chad.

“They have been confirmed to have operated in Baga and participated in perpetrating arson and other atrocities around the vicinity of the town.

“They have been relocating from place to place since they left Baga last month,” it said.

The statement added that more troops of the Police Mobile Force have joined the operations as more towns are being secured in the operations to rid the nation’s territories of terrorist activities.

Olubolade assures Nigerians on security

Also the Minister of Police Affairs Caleb Olubolade on Tuesday assured Nigerians that the security situation in the country would continue to improve following the joint efforts by security agencies.

Olubolade gave the assurance in a message to mark the 2nd anniversary of President Goodluck Jonathan’s administration and 14 years of unbroken democracy in the country.elements.

Olubolade said such elements were bent on destroying the laudable dreams of the nation’s founders as they unleashed terror and other violent activities on the nation.

He urged Nigerians to “see the light at the end of the dark tunnel as exemplified in the continually improving security situation brought about by the joint efforts of the security agencies’’.

He assured that the Nigeria Police would continue to discharge its duties to the nation in spite of recent drawbacks, especially the recent loss of some officers on active service.

Olubolade said the loss was the price they had to pay in protecting the lives and property of Nigerians.

He commended President Goodluck Jonathan for “his boldness and display of a high sense of responsibility and responsiveness in declaring a state of emergency in the volatile areas’’.

The minister called on Nigerians to give unqualified support to Jonathan in his determined effort to secure the nation and provide good leadership.

Related news

Madagali bomb blasts: President Buhari reacts, as Nigerians mourn

Madagali bomb blasts: President Buhari reacts, as Nigerians mourn

Madagali bomb blasts: President Buhari reacts, as Nigerians mourn