An early morning mysterious fire outbreak yesterday claimed the lives of five children of the same parents in Kaduna.
The incident occurred between 12 to 1 am yesterday when a house E36 at Faskare Street in Kaduna metropolis caught fire when the entire family was asleep.The fire caught the house when both parents of the children were at a private hospital attending to their new born baby.
The children whose ages ranged from three to 18 reportedly shouted for help from neighbours, but died before the arrival of a rescue team.
A neighbour’ of the victims said, “we only heard them shouting for help, and before we could rescue them four of them had died.
“When the fire started, the eldest of the children came out of the house shouting for help. When the fire became serious, she went back to the house to rescue her younger ones, but she could not come out alive. She was burnt together with her younger ones,” he said.
Also, an eyewitness told our correspondent that “the rescue operation began at 3 am and four dead bodies were taken out after forcefully breaking the doors. The fifth person later died in the hospital.”
However, there was conflicting report on the cause of the fire outbreak.
While other eyewitnesses blamed the incident on power surge from the Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN), others said it was from a candle.
Residents of the area however, expressed disappointment on the late arrival of fire service after the fire was put out by the neighbours.
Meanwhile, the Kaduna State Emergency Management Agency, which confirmed the incident, said the state government was looking into the possibility of providing succour to the deceased family.