“When one has tasted watermelon, he knows what angels eat.” –Mark Twain
Did you know that is it also nutrition packed too? Yes, watermelon is 92 percent water, but that other 8 percent is filled with good nutrition and amazing health benefits; so many benefits that we consider it a powerfood.
Health Benefits of Watermelon:
1. Watermelon is extremely alkaline-forming in the body. There are a host of benefits to this.
2. Watermelon is the lycopene leader among fresh fruits and vegetables. Deep red varieties of watermelon have replaced the tomato as the lycopene king. The red pigment — also found in apricots, pink grapefruit, and papaya — is an important antioxidant. It has been found to be helpful in reducing the risk of prostate, breast, and endometrial cancers, as well as lung and colon cancer. Lycopene’s ability to neutralize singlet oxygen radicals was better then the antioxidant abilities of beta-carotene and vitamin E. (Source: Archives of Biochemistry and Biophysics in 1989)
3. Watermelon may have Viagra-like effect. It contains citrulline, which can trigger production of a compound in the body that helps relax the body’s blood vessels, in a way similar to what happens when a man takes Viagra, according to a Texas A&M study.
4. Watermelon is a diuretic and was a homeopathic treatment for kidney patients before dialysis became widespread.
5. Watermelon is a very good source of potassium; it helps muscle and nerve function. It can ease inflammation that contributes to conditions like asthma, atherosclerosis, diabetes, colon cancer, and arthritis.
6. Watermelon is a certified heart healthy food by the American Heart Association.
It is also true that watermelon is high in sugar, with 10 grams per cup. But think about it, what is a better choice: a candy bar or a nutritious piece of watermelon?