By Steph Auteri
Choosing whether or not to spend the rest of your life with a guy is a pretty weighty decision, on par with other scary decisions like whether you should eventually be responsible for the well-being of another human. It's life-changing.
So, how do you know if your beau is husband material? How can you ever really know that he's going to be the type of guy you can count on when push comes to shove? The type who will still wine you and dine you after you've been together for five trillion years? The type whose happiness will always be crucial to your own (and vice versa)?
So, without further ado, here are 15 random signs this one's a keeper:
1. He indulges your guilty pleasures. A guy who's husband material comes home from a long day at work, bypasses his man cave, ambles on over to you instead and up-ends his backpack to drop five bars of your favourite chocolate onto the table -- and he doesn't even like chocolate.
2. He brags about you to anyone who will listen. A guy who's husband material talks you up to his friends, family, his hairdresser, the elderly woman who lives next door and is always concerned about whether he's "met a nice girl yet"... even (gulp) his mom. Because he thinks you're talented and amazing and gorgeous, and everyone should know.
3. He likes your brand of crazy. A guy who's husband material sticks around, even when you're totally irrational or downright bitchy. He recognizes that he can be a pain in the butt, too. Because you get each other.
4. He accompanies you on weekly visits to where your grandparents live. He engages in enthusiastic conversation with them, even though he's already heard every story they've ever told approximately 5,238 times since you first started seeing each other.
5. He fights fair. A guy who's husband material takes a step back and becomes the voice of reason in the midst of your most volatile arguments.
6. He always remembers to do that thing you love in bed. You know, the thing. The one that curls your toes. Because even though he often forgets that it takes more than a quick nipple squeeze to put you in the mood, he truly does want you to have as much fun as he's having. And he's having a lot of fun.
7. He is not a jealous man. A guy who's husband material inherently understands that you don't suddenly become blind to the attractiveness of others just because you're in a committed relationship. He trusts you. Now there's a concept!
8. He understands that the healthiest couples are not attached at the hip. Rather, the healthiest couples live their own lives, having experiences they can then share with each other the next time they're together. As a result, your relationship does not implode just because he wants to go away on a weekend trip with his coworkers, or because you don't always invite him out to the weekly meetings with your college friends.
9. He writes a song about you. A guy who's husband material pens a song about how you're a bit of a loner, but "loner and lover are just a letter apart." And then he performs it at his next gig. And though a part of you feels as if you're living a scene from one of those cheesy, formulaic rom-coms, another part of you notices that your heart seems to be swelling in your chest, until you almost can't even breathe.
10. You just know it. Sometimes, even when you're frustrated with him, you remember just one of these things and are suddenly overcome by a massive, overwhelming wave of love. When he's husband material, you just know it.