Nigerian troops clashed with militants from the Islamist group Boko Haram in the northeastern city of Maiduguri Tuesday, in an incident that left one soldier and 13 insurgents dead, the army said.
“At about 1600 hours (1500 GMT) today, troops of the Joint Task Force Operation Restore Order had an encounter with Boko Haram terrorists at Bulabulin and Bayan Quarters of Maiduguri. During the encounter the JTF lost one soldier and two were wounded. Thirteen Boko Haram terrorists lost their lives,” spokesman Sagir Musa said.
The army spokesman said the operation against the Boko Haram cell in Maiduguri was ongoing and added that three assault rifles, one rocket-propelled grenade and large quantities of ammunition had already been recovered.
“Civilians were well protected and have no casualties recorded as a result of the encounter. The operation is ongoing to apprehend the fleeing members of the gang and recover more weapons,” Musa said.