A storey building on Fola Agoro street in Somolu area of Lagos caught fire and lost all personal effects of its occupants on the top flats.
Occupants of most affected apartments on the top floor are said to be on holiday.
An eyewitness said the fire, which broke out about 5.30pm was caused by a cooking gas equipment while the son of the landlord said the fire was triggered by an electrical spark in the building.
Two fire service squads from Isolo and Agege area of Lagos came to fight the fire, but they could not immediately put out the fire until the entire top flats were gutted. The lower floor used as commercial shops did not get burnt by the fire.
The house is reportedly one of the numerous buildings owned by Alhaji Fola Agoro, the man the area was named after.
No fatalities reported so far, but one neighbor who was helping bring water to put out fire was injured and is currently being treated for smoke inhalation.
This is the second major fire in the Lagos metropilitan are on boxing day. Earlier 40 people were injured as a fireworks warehouse caught fire triggering several explosions that razed eight houses in the Jankara area of Lagos.