A fire outbreak suspected to been caused by fluctuation in the voltage from Power Holding Company (PHCN) has left a stretch of shops along UAC-Kwandere Road in Lafia, capital of Nasarawa State burnt down.
The incident happened Saturday while shop owners were going about their businesses at about 2:30pm. Properties worth millions according to victims have been lost in the inferno.
The fire service chief in the state, Alhaji Dogara Dalhatu confirmed the incident while an eyewitness sad no life was lost.
An eyewitness said “fire started in one of the shops. All of their goods where destroyed by the fire and all our efforts to put the fire off could not yield any success as there was no fire extinguisher equipments.”
Chikodoli Umeh, Precious Ezenwa, Akpan Okore and Sunday Ayo, are some of the shop owners who lost their businesses to the inferno.
The land lady of the affected building, Helin Agah and a leader of the Igbo community in Lafia Mazi Harison Odomodo appealed to government and members of the public to assist the victims with the necessary aid so as to enable them start up their business.