Measles Claim 6 Lives In Niger

Measles Claim 6 Lives In Niger

Niger Commissioner for Health, Dr Ibrahim Sule, says no fewer than six persons are confirmed dead following the outbreak of measles in some parts of the state.

Sule made this known on Thursday in Minna, saying that the outbreak was reported within the last two weeks in four local government areas.

“I can confirm that six deaths were recorded due to the outbreak of the disease in the state so far, but the situation is under control at the moment,“ he said.

The commissioner listed the affected council areas as Mokwa, Edati, Bosso and Chanchaga, saying that Chanchaga was worst hit.

Sule said the ministry had intensified the vaccination of children under the age of five years.

The commissioner said the public health department in the ministry had organised community vaccination for the affected communities.

Sule said that 196,000 children had so far been vaccinated against the diseases, since the outbreak was reported.

He then urged the parents to avail themselves of the opportunity of vaccinating their children against measles and other child killer diseases.

Sule said the state government had also awarded contract for the conversion of the Rural Health Centre, Kutigi, to the status of a general hospital.

“The state executive council had approved the release of N154.2 million for the conversion of the centre,’’ he said. (NAN)

Related news

Fulani herdsmen behead graduate; Igbo leader reacts to attack

Fulani herdsmen behead graduate; Igbo leader reacts to attack

Fulani herdsmen behead graduate; Igbo leader reacts to attack