Army releases 11 tanker drivers in Port Harcourt 4 years ago 3

The 2 Brigade, Nigerian Army, Port Harcourt, said on Thursday that it had released 11 of the 14 petroleum tanker drivers it arrested on June 19.

Capt. Samuel Sunny, the spokesman for the Brigade, disclosed this in an interview with News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Port Harcourt. Sunny said that the remaining three drivers were still under investigation in the Bridge’s custody.

NAN reports that the tanker drivers were arrested for allegedly transporting fuel from illegal refineries at odd hours. Security agencies had been fighting oil bunkering and illegal refining activities in the Niger Delta area.

The spokesman said that all the suspects were screened and those found free from the crime were released. He said that the sample collected from the tankers of the three detained drivers would be tested at the NNPC, Port Harcourt.

"We are not in a hurry to hand them over to the police for prosecution; we are taking our time to do thorough investigations," Sunny said.

However, as a show of solidarity with the suspects, some 50 tanker drivers blocked the busy Iriebe/Oyigbo axis of Port Harcourt-Aba road for two days, thereby causing hardship for commuters. Home Page

Read next

Show more

Read also: