Assistant Director, Army Public Relations, 1 Division Kaduna, Col. Sani Kukarsheka, on Thursday blamed the panic in Kaduna on users of social media. He said that users of social media, such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube were blowing the situation out of proportion.
He said such action was causing panic among residents and their relations outside the state.
Kukarsheka said the recent development in Kwaru, Malali, Badarawa Kujama and Rafin Guza areas were under control and not as reported by such media.
He called on residents to avoid using such media to speculate and cause panic among Nigerians as the situation in the state was under control.
He said security agents had been deployed all over the state to enforce the 24-hour curfew as well as to restore peace and normalcy.
He dismissed the rumour that some fake soldiers penetrated Kaduna Polytechnic and shot some students in their hostels.
The assistant director, however, said security agents had been deployed to all the institutions in the state to ensure the safety of students.
Usman Shuaibu, a Mineral Resources Engineering student of the polytechnic, dispelled the rumour of shooting in the institution, saying, “We are fully secured and nothing like that happened.’’
Shuaibu said that most of the students who left school to the military barracks were returning to the institution, saying they felt more secured there.
Meanwhile, the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Aminu Lawal, has said that the situation was under control.
He said more security personnel had been deployed to the state from Jigawa, Katsina, Sokoto and Zamfara states as well as the Federal Capital Territory to enforce law and order.
Lawal said the military personnel were patrolling the state, while undercover officers were dispatched to gather intelligence reports on the situation.
He said those arrested during the crisis were being investigated and would soon be arraigned in court