Two street kids died last week while three others were admitted at Parirenyatwa Hospital in a suspected case of poisoning.
Police spokesperson Superintendent Andrew Phiri confirmed both incidents yesterday.
"On November 15 at around 8:20pm, it is alleged that one of the five street kids brought a brownish sugar-like granular substance which he advised the other four would make them drunk if diluted with water," Phiri said.
"The street kids then diluted the substance with water and drank it. After drinking, they felt stomach pains and started vomiting. At around 10:47pm, one of the five street kids died and the second one died the following morning at around 7am."
He said the other three kids were battling for their lives at Parirenyatwa Hospital.