Abuja, Tuesday, Nov. 20 - A Honda saloon car, registration number RU 55 ABC, was saved from burning to ashes at Ladoke Akintola Boulevard, Garki II, Abuja, thanks to passers-by.
The passers-by spotted the flames from beneath the car and alerted the driver, who stopped the car but was struck with fear and did not know what to do.
Policemen, motorists and pedestrians, who rushed to the scene, employed fire extinguishers to put out the fire, but had to resort to a mixture of water and detergents as the flames increased.
When the fire was eventually put out, the engine of the car had burnt completely; other parts were not affected.
A motor mechanic at the scene, Mr. Ola Sunday, says the fire must have been from an electrical fault which could have been aggravated by the hot weather.
“This is a new car, which, unfortunately has an electrical fault; apart from that, the hot sun must have played a role in the incident.
“Motorists should be brave enough to confront this type of occurrence immediately it starts with their fire extinguishers, or it will get out of hand,” he explained.
The driver of the car was too bemused to talk as he stood by the side gaping at the car.