There was no attack on any village last week, but an attack on Fulani herdsmen during grazing, Hussaini Mohammed, Nasarawa State Secretary of Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) said yesterday.
Mohammed, who was reacting to a statement by police authorities that Alaku village and others were invaded last Thursday, said, “No village was attacked. Nobody invaded any village in Nasarawa. We have made our findings and visits. It was some unknown gunmen; many of them, who attacked Fulani cattle rearers in the bush and massacred them”.
The state’s police spokesman, Cornelius Ocholi, had said that “assailants” invaded villages along Lafia-Makurdi road, killing and sacking communities around those areas. He said four persons were killed. But the secretary of the Fulani socio-cultural group claimed that no village was attacked. He challenged the police to show pictures of the attacked villages, as well as the corpses of the persons killed.
“Fulani people were the ones killed. They were in the bush with their cattle when the gunmen attacked and killed them. 14 Fulani people were killed in the bush, and over 1,000 cows are missing. The gunmen followed up and chased all Fulani people out of Agyaragu. That is what happened”, Mohammed added.
But the police spokesman reaffirmed the command’s report that “assailants,” invaded Alaku and other villages.
“What Miyetti Allah group is saying has not come to my knowledge yet. I am not aware of any invasion and massacre on Fulani herdsmen”, Ocholi said.