Anambra Threatens To Revoke 500 Residential Plots In Awka

Anambra Threatens To Revoke 500 Residential Plots In Awka

Anambra State Government on Thursday warned plot owners in the Government Reserved Areas to develop them or risk the revocation of their allotments.

Anambra Threatens To Revoke 500 Residential Plots In Awka

The State Commissioner for Lands, Survey and Town Planning, Mr. Okoli Akirika, gave the warning in Iyi-Agu, Awka while on a tour of government layouts. Akirika said that the plots within Iyi-Agu layout, totalling about 500 plots were allocated to judges, permanent secretaries and other government officials and citizens of the state more than 15 years ago.

He said that the roads within the layout were currently being constructed to enable easy access to the plots.“The idea behind the carving out of the Iyi-Agu layout is to have a mixed housing estate which was conceptualised by the administration of Dr. Chinwoke Mbadinuju. But because the contractors could not source funds for the concept, government took over the area."

“By January 31, 2013, if the allotees fail to utilise this opportunity to commence development on their various allocations, we will have no other choice than to revoke their plots of land.

“We shall then give them to those who actually want to develop the property."

“Awka as a state capital has been lagging behind because plot owners have refused to develop their property,” - he said.

In his remarks, the Acting General Manager of the Anambra State Urban Development Board, Mr. Emeka Onwuekwe, said about 1.2 kilometres of roads within the Iyi-Agu layout had been constructed.

The Surveyor-General of the state, Mr. Anthony Onwubuya, said that the survey of the area had been completed while plans had been issued for Certificates of Occupancy.

Related news

Madagali bomb blasts: President Buhari reacts, as Nigerians mourn

Madagali bomb blasts: President Buhari reacts, as Nigerians mourn

Madagali bomb blasts: President Buhari reacts, as Nigerians mourn