President Goodluck Jonathan yesterday while commending development partners and organisations that have so far responded to the cries for help by Nigeria, to rehabilitate her citizens affected by the flood, has disclosed that his personal house in Otuoke that was initially spared, has been submerged by flood.
“Nigeria is so devastated by the flood. Sometimes when you watch on television, you do not appreciate what we are going through. I travelled from North to South and on Sunday I was in my village after touring my state. I left my village on Sunday morning and as at that time water was about entering my compound. As at this morning the information is that my house up to the windows level is under water,” he said.
Speaking at the official launching of save one million lives, A United Nations Commission on Life Saving Commodities for Women and Children at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, Jonathan said: “So, you can see what people are passing through within this period. But with the assistance the development partners will give us and people who are in the humanitarian sector, we will soon get over it.”
Meanwhile, the Dickens Sanomi Foundation yesterday disclosed that after five days of rescue operations in various parts of Delta and Bayelsa states, it had successfully evacuated about 12,300 flood victims from danger-prone areas.
The Foundation, which had called on the state governments to establish more camps with adequate security, said it was overwhelmed by the situation on ground, insisting that unless more camps and enhanced security were set up, human catastrophe looms, as the rising water level continues to sack more communities and villages.
The Coordinator of “Project Rescue 10,000 Flood Victims in Delta and Bayelsa states” of the Dickens Sanomi Foundation, Daniel Idonor, said the 15-man team of experts and professional socials workers had visited 42 communities.