US - A 12-year-old boy has been praised for his bravery after suffering horrendous burns saving his grandmother's life.
Seth Cutright has been left with heavy burns across his face, body and arms after a propane heater exploded in their home in Vernonia, Oregon, on Friday, Oct. 12.
Seth said he could smell leaking gas just before his grandmother, Rose Cutright, lit a cigarette in her bedroom at about 3pm. The resulting explosion set the house - and Rose - on fire, and Seth rushed into action, picking her up and carrying her out of the burning building.
Their home was almost completely destroyed by the fire, and the Red Cross is currently sheltering the family as they rebuild their lives. But all of them are just grateful to be alive.
Seth says: 'It was like "Boom!" - a flash before your eyes. My grandma was on fire - not completely on fire, just a little bit. Then when I was walking, it went out.'
He adds: 'I carried her outside and set her on the ground. I went to the next-door neighbor’s and said: "Call the ambulance".'The two family members are now recovering from their injuries at Oregon Burn Centre - the grandmother Rose remains in serious condition.
However, Seth is expected to make a full recovery with no scarring - but he wanted to show his face to warn people about the dangers of gas leaks.
Asked if he had seen his face in the mirror yet, Seth joked: 'Yes - whoa I'm ugly!'
He also wanted to say a big thankyou to the Oregon Burn Centre for their prompt treatment. Seth's parents were interviewed for local TV channel, and Steth's father, Roger, told him on camera: 'I love you. I’m proud of you. You’re my hero.'
Firefighters had to spend three hours fighting the flames before getting the fire under control, and were able to save several cats and chickens from the flames.