The Government of Canada on Monday condemned the killing of over 20 villagers in Dogon Dawa, Kaduna, North central Nigeria.
Foreign Affairs Minister of Canada, John Baird in a statement sent via electronic mail described the attacks as a “heinous act” which Canada condemns.
He said, “I’m troubled and shocked by reports of today’s deadly attacks on Muslim worshippers in the Nigerian village of Dogon Dawa. Canada strongly condemns these heinous acts.
“On behalf of all Canadians, I offer my sincere condolences to the families and friends of those killed, and wish a speedy recovery to the injured.
“Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Nigeria at this time.
“As I told Minister Olugbenga Ashiru during my visit earlier this week, Canada is committed to working with the government in Abuja to address security challenges in Nigeria.”
It will be recalled that yet to be identified gunmen believed to be armed robbers attacked Dogon Dawa, a village in Birnin Gwari Local government area.
The attackers killed the village head and 22 others in what some say was an apparent rescue mission to free robbery suspects arrested by the local vigilante.
- Police confirm 24 killed in Kaduna attack
- KADUNA KILLINGS: Father, 2 Kids Among 20 Killed In Kaduna Attack
- Kaduna Massacre ‘Not Sectarian Violence’