How to cook a meat pie? This treat is often cooked in the oven or a frying pan. The recipe also has some variations on whether it is a closed or open pie. Our instructions will help you to knead the dough correctly and place it nicely so that the finished treat will look good. Usually, the meat stuffing for the pie is fried. To make filling more delicious, you may add vegetables.
The Nigerian Meat Pie, particularly, is such a unique dish that tastes very yummy and has minced meat, some potatoes and carrot inside. The filling is generally prepared before the meatpie-making process. These ingredients give the meat pie a very interesting taste. It is the most popular pastry that is served in fast food restaurants in Nigeria.
What is Meat Pie?
READ ALSO: How to make liquid soap for dishwashing?
These pies were an innovation, created in the Greece. It looked like a flour-water glue substance, well-baked and filled with meat. In Greece, these pies were generally cooked under coals or simply fried. Missioners and travelers spread the meat-based pie dish over the globe. People carried the recipe over the sea with them. The pie was not considered as mainstream until it was supplanted with sweet pies.
Ingredients for the dough
- baking powder;
- ice water;
So you need to use 1kg of flour and only two or three teaspoons of baking powder. Then add some margarine (500g) and 1-2 pinches of salt (depending on how you like it). The last component is a cup of water (you’ll need some of it).
The Nigerian Meat Pie dough
1. 1 kg of flour should be put in a bowl, add 2 teaspoons of powder and 2 salt pinches. You don't really need to bother with a considerable measure of salt for the dough. Moreover, the meat pie will get a special taste from the filling. Mix these dry ingredients extremely well.
2. Add little pieces of margarine into the bowl, where you have put some flour. If the bits are smaller, it will be easier for you to rub them into the surface.
3. Also add the margarine into the flour, while kneading it thoroughly.
Take into account: use margarine only. Remember, that butter can ruin your Nigerian meat pie.
4. Afterward begin adding cold water, while mixing it, you have to get the mixture firm.
5. Knead the blend thoroughly; return it to the bowl and leave for a while (5-7 minutes).
Ingredients for the filling
To fill the pie and make it delicious you need to take:
- 2 tablespoons of flour;
- 1 cup of ice water;
- 500g of minced meat;
- 2 cooking spoons of oil (vegetable oil preferably);
- 2 Knorr cubes;
- 1 onion;
- 1 teaspoon of thyme;
- Add salt for taste.
There’s also one ingredient extra. An egg to decorate the pie!
Instruction for preparing the filling
- First of all, you need to prepare some vegetables. These ingredients will add a very special taste that will complement the meat. Prepare potatoes and carrots, peel them carefully, wash and cut them into small pieces. Afterward, wash and cut the onions into small pieces.
- Set your oven or pan to the medium heat, fry the vegetables in oil, including the onions, and mix everything, then add the minced meat and stir thoroughly till the meat becomes pale.
- Afterward you should add some water. Don't forget some stock cubes and add some thyme. Once it starts boiling, include all the prepared vegetables, carrots and potatoes particularly, and wait until everything is well-done.
- Meat pie topping should not get dry while heating. That's why you should mix 2 tablespoons of plain flour with cold water and add it to the pie filling.
- Add some salt and mix the substance. Put the meat pie filling aside to wait for a while.
Next steps in the meat pie recipe
1. After you have prepared everything, we mean filling and dough, Set your oven to 170°C (335°F) then continue cooking. Make sure it’s heated enough to start the next step.
2. The dish shouldn’t be burnt underneath, so the oven tray should be rubbed with margarine. This is so that you can keep the pie good-looking and tasty at the same time.
3. Move and roll the dough out to accomplish certain thickness, make round pieces on the moved batter, and remove the dough that you won’t need.
4. Put some delicious filling into the centre of the round cuts; you should be able to close the dough to form the pie easily.
5. Rub the egg around the edges of the pie dough. Fold one side to meet the flip side. Use a fork to press the 2 edges of pie together. Close firmly. Place your pie into the oven and repeat the action till all the cut-out dough is used.
6. Roll out some dough again. Cut, fill, close and put it in a lubricated baking pan until all the dough is used.
7. End up the process with rubbing egg into the meat pies.This is so that the meat pie will gain a brilliant dark colored look when it is all done.
Meat Pie: Final Look
Bake for 30-40 min (it depends on the quality your stove). The heat should be medium. You can open the stove from time to time to check if it’s ready.
After all these steps, the Nigerian Meat Pie should done! Bet you are happy! After reading, you may think it is such a long procedure. However, the instruction has a lot of useful tips and practical details that will guide you throughout the cooking process. After working for an hour, you will get an amazing result - a super-delicious pie that will become a great addition to your dinner or lunch snack.
Feel free to experiment so you can find the right recipe that fills your taste. Get creative and you might end up with some great designs. You may even apply changes in filling of dough according to your cooking experience. Cook with pleasure and then your every dish will become a masterpiece!
READ ALSO: How to mix cream to lighten skin?