- The federal government's Safe School Initiative is proving to be effective
- No fewer than 81 students displaced by Boko Haram insurgency are studying
- This was revealed by the vice chairman, Presidential Committee on North East Initiative, Tijjani Tumsah
No fewer than 81 students displaced by Boko Haram insurgency are studying under the Safe School Initiative in Kaduna.
Tijjani Tumsah, vice chairman, Presidential Committee on North East Initiative, made this known on Wednesday, July 12 during a routine evaluation and monitoring of students under the initiative in Kaduna.
According to him, the students were making progress and should be encouraged to be useful to themselves and the society.
His words: “Some of the students have not been to school for some years but they are picking up fast.
“Unity schools are the perfect place for them to socialise and blend because of the different cultures, traditions and religions in the country.”
He said five of the students had passed their JAMB and had written the West African Examination (WAEC) and were now waiting for the NECO examination.
Tumsah said the federal government would sustain the scholarship programme and encourage the students so as not to abscond from the programme.
Edith Obianwuzia, vice principal, Federal Government College, Kaduna, said the school had to come up with a new curriculum for the students because they had been out of school for a while.
She said the initiative should be encouraged as the teachers themselves were putting up their best to ensure that the students become useful to the society.
“During the midterm break these students do not go home, this makes teachers to stay back and ensure that they get extra lessons and feed properly,” she said. (NAN)
Meanwhile, Senator Ali Ndume (APC/Borno South), on Sunday, July 9, expressed deep concern over the resurgence of Boko Haram attacks in Borno, and described the situation as “worrisome.”
Ndume, currently serving a six-month suspension, told journalists in Maiduguri that he would have invited security chiefs to explain what was happening, if he was in the Senate Chambers.
“In Borno, we were already getting relaxed; we were sleeping with our two eyes closed. Now we are faced with a new challenge.
“If I were at the Senate Chambers, I would have moved a motion to invite those concerned to explain the recent events to the National Assembly,” he said.
Watch the NAIJ.com TV video report of the 10 young Air Force officers recently winged below: