Yesterday I returned to Nigeria and my mother welcomed me with her famous pepper soup. As I sat down to enjoy, each spoonful gave me a nostalgic feeling. I was really missing my mother's home cooking. Being a university student away from home, I was forced to cook my own native meals. My effort to achieve that great taste was futile, so as a result I made it my goal to learn how to properly prepare some of my favourite Nigerian Soups. With my mother's assistance, I was able to make notes of the recipe and instructions. We will begin by making Nigerian Chicken Soup. If you would like to learn more then continue reading the article below.
Before we begin, you should know that this recipe can be adjusted to your liking. Pepper soup can also be made with other kinds of meats such as; goat, cow feet, beef, shrimp or fish. This delicacy stems from the West African tradition and is prepared across the world. Growing up, it was believed that this meal had some medicinal advantages.
Ingredients for Pepper Soup
Below I have prepared an easy guide for Nigerian Chicken Pepper Soup Recipe.
You will need the following ingredients:
- 1 lbs of Chicken Parts (This can be either mixed parts, fillet, leg, neck, gizzard and/or thigh, the choice is yours).
- A Large Onion.
- 2 1/2 tbsp. of Powdered Pepper.
- 2 1/2 tbsp. Grounded Crayfish.
- 1 Large Scotch Bonnet Pepper.
- 1 Stalk of Scallion.
- 1 Stalk of thyme.
- A pinch of Salt.
- Pepper Soup Seasoning.
- 2 Maggie Chicken Seasoning Cubes or 1 tbsp. of Maggie Chicken Seasoning Powder.
- 1 leaf of fresh scent leaf.
- Wash the chicken in water and 2 tbsp. of vinegar to remove the rawness.
- Remove the skin from the chicken (optional) and clean the insides.
- Chop the pieces of meat into halves.
READ ALSO: Nigerian soups - Top 5 to cook at home.
4. Place the chicken into a pot big enough to make your soup.
5. Fill 3/4 of the pot with water.
6. Place the pot on the stove to boil at a low flame.
7. Check the pot after 30 minutes. You will notice oil being released from the chicken.
8. Begin to add your spices i.e. powdered pepper, grounded crayfish, pepper soup seasoning and Maggi.
9. Stir the pot.
10. After washing, dice the large onion, scallion and thyme it to thin pieces. Add them to the pot and stir again.
11. Add a pinch of salt then do a taste test, remember to adjust seasonings and amounts according to your liking.
12. Finally, add your scent leaves then leave to boil.
13. After another 15-30 minutes your Nigerian Chicken Pepper Soup will be ready to serve!
This recipe serves 4-5 persons. This meal can be enjoyed with a side of boiled yams, plantain, semo or garri.
Thanks to my mother, we are able to enjoy a delicious meal of Chicken Pepper Soup. If you altered this recipe, I hope you got your desired result. Until next time, it was a pleasure sharing this special family recipe with you!
READ ALSO: Nigerian vegetable soup recipe.