- The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), led by Nnamdi Kanu, insisted that Governor Willie Obiano has a case to answer over alleged killing of its members
- The agitating group asked Governor Obiano to present a video recording of the occasion Kanu exonerated him from the allegation if he was telling the truth
The Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) has accused Governor Willie Obiano of Anambra state of being behind the killing of some of its members.
The group agitating for Biafra, further denied alleged claims by Obiano that the leader of IPOB, Nnamdi Kanu, had exonerated him from reports that he masterminded such killings.
The Punch reports that IPOB, on Tuesday, July 4, said Obiano was responsible for the death of some of its members at Nkpor, near Onitsha in 2016.
Obiano is yet to react to this recent allegation but some analysts believe it could dent his chance for a second term in office as Anambra prepares for election.
NAIJ.com learnt that IPOB asked the governor to make public a video where Kanu exonerated him.
In a statement in Awka by the media and publicity Secretary of IPOB, Emma Powerful, IPOB said Kanu never exonerated Obiano.
“We the members of the Indigenous People of Biafra, worldwide under the command and leadership of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu disassociate our leader Mazi Nnamdi Kanu from the purported and concocted rumours going the round the city that during his (Kanu’) visit to Eze Eri Eze Chukwu Emeka of Aguleri that he exonerated Chief Willie Obiano the Governor of Anambra State from the massacre of IPOB members and Biafrans at Nkpor on the 29th and 30th of May, 2016 during the remembrance day celebration.
“We want to make it categorically clear that the IPOB leader did not exonerate Obiano but instead indicted him for not halting the massacre as the chief security officer of the state and also for reporting to the kangaroo Army Board of Enquiry that nobody was killed at Nkpor and Onitsha head bridge when there were innumerable eyewitness accounts backed up by video and pictorial evidence; the evidences were presented to the well recognised international human rights organisations in the world like Amnesty International and Human Right Watch etc.
“IPOB is holding Governor Obiano responsible because about 60 percent of those butchered and buried in mass graves.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app
“To put the record straight, we are aware that Governor Obiano did not kill anybody by himself or fired anybody with bullets but as the number one citizen and chief security officer of the state he is culpable for not rising up on time to stop the massacre of those that campaigned vigorously for him in 2014 rather he came up through his information commissioner condemned and tagged the innocent civilians who gathered to celebrate their fallen heroes and heroines during the war of genocide against the people of Biafra in 1967 and 1970 as miscreants and hoodlums who came to destroy the state, it is on record,” IPOB said.
An earlier report had quoted the senior special assistant to Obiano on media, James Eze, as saying Kanu had in a visit to a traditional ruler in the state absolved the governor of the allegation.
Meanwhile, NAIJ.com reported earlier that at a time there are serious agitations from the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and a quit notice from northern youths, some Igbo people in Borno state have continued with their trade undisturbed.
Governor Kashim Shettima of Borno state shared a video of how he met an Igbo carpenter and his team, all from the south-east, as they were roofing orphanages in Maiduguri.
Watch this video of daily activities in the home of Nnamdi Kanu: