If you want to serve your country, you need to participate in the Nigerian Defence Academy Short Service. You will need to give nine months before you can become a military cadet. It`s not easy, but you will be able to serve in the Nigerian Army. Continue reading to find more information.
Short Service in the Nigerian Defence Academy
When you enlist to the Nigerian Defence Academy Short Service programme – you will be placed in Kaduna. The official website of the Academy is www.nda.edu.ng. Do not forget that the Course assembles in July of every year. Every cadet becomes a Second Lieutenant upon finishing the course in the academy.
All cadets are equal within the walls of the academy. Therefore, combatant and non-combatant military personnel are required to go through the same physical programme. Other countries in Africa have similar programmes. They are needed to fill in the vacancy for officers in the army, navy, and the airforce.
Before you start writing your Nigerian Defence Academy Short Service Application, you must know the requirements!
If you want to be a cadet, then you have to meet the following Nigerian Defence Academy Short Service Recruitment requirements:
- A future recruit must be a Nigerian. It`s stated in the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria;
- A future recruit must be a male or female (no other gender allowed);
- A future recruit must between the ages of 22 and 35 years;
- A future recruit must have at least Second Class Lower. The HND recruits must have at least Lower Credit;
- A future recruit must be at least 1.68m tall;
- A future recruit must be physically fit;
- A future recruit shouldn`t have any medical problems;
- Recruits must have the NYSC Exemption Letter or NYSC Discharge Letter;
- Recruits must have valid birth certificates. It`s also advised to provide a valid age declaration from a court;
- Recruits must have valid certificates of their state of origin;
- Recruits must not have a conviction record;
- Any applicants must be guaranteed by at least two recognizable referees. They have to test the applicant`s integrity and character. Commanding officers must recommend them for future service in the military structure.
READ ALSO: Bank of industry YES program 2017/2018
The Nigerian Defence Academy Short Service Course can take in 100 cadets every year. However, this quantity can be changed by the Army Headquarters. Do not forget that applicants from other African countries, like Ghana, can also be given admission to the Short Service Program. Every course starts from July to August every year.
The examination period for the Nigerian Defence, Short Service programme takes place in February. The recruits will find out the results in April. The results will determine a short list of recruits that are suited for an interview. They have to go through various screening processes.
This is not the end of the journey for the recruits! They have to go through the clearance procedure. They will undergo height, weight, nationality and medical check. Military authorities will also check the criminal records of recruits.
According to statistics, about 65% of future recruits are dropped during the various checking processes. If they manage to go through all of these tests – they will then be admitted to the Nigerian Defence Academy Short Service Program.
Any recruit can be eliminated from the programme during the process. The recruit will undergo a hard training course, which includes:
- Academic Training;
- Physical Training;
- Medical Training;
If a person manages to graduate from the programme – he/she becomes the 2nd lieutenant. Continuing service in the army, navy or airforce is also possible.
Are you interested?
If you are interested in taking the course of Nigerian Defence Academy Short Service, then you must visit their application official page - APPLICATION. You just need to follow the application process.
If you really want to serve Nigeria, then do not miss this chance! Enroll in the Nigerian Defence Academy Short Service Program.
READ ALSO: Delta State University courses offered