- Boko Haram continues to carry out pockets of attacks in Nigeria and neighbouring states
- The latest attack is in the Diffa region in Niger Republic
- The insurgents reportedly kidnapped 37 women and killed nine other people
A report by The Guardian indicates that Boko Haram jihadists have kidnapped 37 women and killed nine other people at the village of Ngalewa, near a border with Nigeria on Sunday, July 2.
“Boko Haram elements…killed nine people… they took women, 37 women, and departed with them,” the governor of Diffa region, Laouali Mahamane Dan Dano, told state TV.
“The defence and security forces are already in pursuit, and we hope that in the coming days these women will be found and freed,” he added.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
The governor said the village had been singled out because it was known for its resistance to the jihadists.
“The assailants came by foot for greater stealth,” he said.
“About 30 or 40 women and children were kidnapped… (and) nine people killed,” the village's mayor, Abari El Hadj Daouda said.
Diffa, which has a population of around 600,000 people, has suffered a string of attacks by Boko Haram since 2015.
Around 300,000 people displaced by jihadist attacks have taken refuge in the region, which already grapples with grinding poverty.
Meanwhile, Governor Kashim Shettima of Borno state on Sunday, June 25 appealed to the Nigerian military to intensify efforts to end the Boko Haram insurgency that had ravaged the North East for long.
Shettima made the appeal while speaking at this year’s Eid el Fitr reception for members of the State Executive Council and other dignitaries at the Government House Maiduguri.
He said although the military had recorded tremendous successes against the insurgents, the recent spate of attacks in different parts of the state was worrisome.
Watch a video report of the recently released Chibok girls by Boko Haram on NAIJ.com TV below: