365

USD/NGN

Residents of Arowojobe estate allegedly in danger (photos)

Residents of Arowojobe estate allegedly in danger (photos)

- Residents of Arowojobe estate in Maryland has appealed to governor Ambode to save them from a possible disaster

- A resident of the estate alleged that the site contractor handling the construction of the area's link bridge has absconded

- The construction of the link bridge was allegedly expected to be for a duration of three months but a year has passed since the beginning of the construction

Residents of Arowojobe estate have alleged that the contractor handling the bridge linking their estate to the next street has absconded and as a result residents are finding commuting from the estate difficult.

READ ALSO: How much I actually have in the bank will surprise you - Evans drops another bombshell

In a statement made available to NAIJ.com by Erdem Acet, residents of the estate had thought that the government of Governor Ambode would eventually solve their problem regarding the link bridge only for the contract to be abandoned after a year of its commencement.

He wrote: "I write as a concerned citizen of Lagos and residents of Arowojobe estate Maryland. We had a bridge that links us from Sunmola street into Arowojobe estate and we had pressed successive administration from Tinubu, Fashola and now Ambode for a new one since it collapsed almost two decades ago.

Arowojobe Estate in Danger (photos)

Arowojobe Estate in Danger (photos)

"We heaved a sigh of relief when the government of Ambode listened to our pleas and made moves to give us a firm new bridge since the collapse of the previous one and introduced the contractors to the residents with a 3 months time frame to deliver.

PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app

"The old bridge had to be destroyed to make way for the new one and we are currently making use of a makeshift metal bridge which is currently failing and passes one car at a time.During morning rush hours, you might be stuck for a long time because the makeshift bridge can only access one vehicle per time.

Arowojobe Estate in Danger (photos)

Arowojobe Estate in Danger (photos)

"Well this is over a year now since the commencement of the bridge against the government proposed three months and we cannot even see the contractors on site and their progress so far is just some piling points and nothing significant.

"Our lives and that of our families are in danger, the government of Ambode shouldn't wait until the makeshift bridge collapses and causes tragedy before they respond to our clarion call and I appeal to the governor to make an unscheduled visit to this estate to ascertain things for himself personally.

"We are going through pains daily with only one metal makeshift bridge which is not certified to link us out of the estate in search of our livelihood daily," he said.

Meanwhile, NAIJ.com had earlier reported that the Lebanese community allegedly blocked the gate of a popular games village estate in Abuja over development of a disputed land within the estate.

The Lebanese were said to have carried out their action of blocking the entrance of the estate after residents questioned their plan to build a church inside the estate.

While confirming the incident to newsmen on Thursday, June 29, secretary of the games village residents association, Jude Uze, said it was totally wrong of the Lebanese to act in such way in another man's country.

Watch this video of former President Olusegun Obasanjo speaking passionately about Nigeria:

Related news
45,000 children die annually from water related diseases in Nigeria - Official

45,000 children die annually from water related diseases in Nigeria - Official

15 million Nigerians still drink water from irrigation canals, lakes, others - UNICEF
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel