Editor’s note: Biafra agitation has been on the front burner of discourse in Nigeria in the last few months. Since the leader of Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), Nnamdi Kanu’s release by the Abuja High Court, there have been mixed reactions about the agitation even among the Igbo elders.
In a message sent to NAIJ.com, a Facebook user, Okechukwu Oleh lists some conditions that would permanently end the Biafra agitation in order to allow one Nigeria.
A Yoruba friend asked me: Under what conditions would you support "One Nigeria" and let go of the Biafra agitation and let it die down and finally laid to rest for good?
Here was my response:
1. Close down Lagos ports and open up PH, Calabar, Onitsha and Warri ports.
2. Cancel all direct and major connecting flights to Lagos and Abuja airports only local connecting flights will be allowed. While this is being done, open up Enugu, Calabar, Owerri, Asaba, Uyo and PH to international flights direct and major connecting flights.
3. Ask all international and diplomatic missions to move their embassies and consulates from Lagos, Kano and Abuja to Enugu, PH and Calabar.
4. All federal governments’ agencies in Lagos and Abuja shall be relocated to Enugu, PH and Calabar. CBN, NNPC, e.t.c shall and must relocate to PH, Calabar and Enugu.
5. All multinational companies in Lagos and Abuja, shall and must relocate their offices to PH, Calabar and Enugu.
6. All oil companies must relocate their head offices to PH, as the oil capital of Nigeria.
7. Let the northern children gain admission into federal schools with 300 score points while the South Eastern Children should gain admission with only 20 score points.
8. Let all federal road projects in the North/SW should be handled by one local companies and the one in the SE/SS should be handled by Julius Berger and foreign construction companies.
If these conditions can be fulfilled and implemented for 50 years, we can try one Nigeria and let see if you the North and South-west will like it for a month. Meaning that Yorubas and Hausas need to get international visas shall travel to PH, Calabar or Enugu to do that and same with flying or connecting flights, same with shipping and importing their goods, etc.
The Yoruba friend replied: You can’t be serious, this is wickedness and I said. Really? Don’t you think South and South. Eastern part of Nigeria has been suffering and enduring this very same wickedness for over 50 years?
He was quiet for a few seconds and said: Wow, you are right but it never occurred to me.
I said, that’s the problem with One Nigeria, those who are benefiting from it, love it and would love to maintain the status quo.
Let each region develops at her own pace, with Airport, seaports, industries, major projects open to be developed in any part of Nigeria without government interference or due to tribalism and nepotism!
Let Nigeria be fair to all irrespective of tribe, religion, and place of birth. Let there be true federalism and resources control, with the elimination of quota system and federal character in Nigeria. Let's have equal respect for one another irrespective of where the person is coming from in Nigeria. That is what Biafra agitation is all about.
The simple truth
Whoever tells you that if Biafra succeeds or gains her independence that Igbos leaving in the North or Yoruba land will lose their properties and that things will become worst is an enemy and is among the people that are benefiting from the fraudulent arrangement that exist in Nigeria.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 new app
Yugoslavia broke into 6 countries namely: Serbia, Macedonia, Solvenia, Bosnia Hezegovia, Montengro and heaven did not fall. They did not leave their job, leave their formal country before voting to leave, after voting to leave, all those in the new created countries automatically become foreigners.
Malaysia broke into 2 namely: Malaysia & Singapore and heaven did not fall.
Pakistan broke into 2 namely: Pakistan & Bangladesh and heaven did not fall
United Arab Republic broke into 2 namely: Egypt & Syria and heaven did not fall
If Biafra goes, it doesn't mean we can't travel anywhere again provided we have our traveling documents ready.
Why is it that Hausas and Fulanis see Biafra break up as war? Are you not tired of stealing our oil down to Kaduna reserve, Bornu reserve, and now Liberia reserve?
Allow Biafra to go because Biafrans have suffered a lot of humiliation, intimidation and marginalisation in the hand of this wicked contraption called Nigeria.
The views expressed in this article are the author’s own and do not necessarily represent the editorial policy of NAIJ.com.
Your own opinion articles are welcome at email@example.com — drop an email telling us what you want to write about and why. More details in Naij.com’s step-by-step guide for guest contributors.
We’re ready to trade your news for our money: submit news and photo reports from your area using our Citizen Journalism App.
Contact us if you have any feedback, suggestions, complaints or compliments. We are also available on Facebook and Twitter. Subscribe to Naij.com Opinion page!
You can watch this NAIJ.com video of the daily activities in Nnamdi Kanu's hometown: