- Only 1,112 candidates will be recruited into the Nigerian Immigration Service out of the 40,000 that have applied
- The candidates would be recruited to bring the total number to 2000 as approved in the last aborted recruitment exercise
- 888 candidates, who initially applied at the first botched exercise, had already been taken under the Buhari administration
- Priority would be given to individuals who speak foreign languages such as French, Chinese and Arabic
Though over 40,000 candidates have applied to be recruited into the Nigerian Immigration Service, only 1,112 candidates can be accommodated into the service, the federal government has disclosed.
This is based on the approval given by President Muhammadu Buhari, reports say.
The disclosure was made by the minister of interior, Lt.Gen. Abdulrahman Dambazau (retd.), in Abuja on Monday, June 19.
Dambazau made his comments while fielding questions from journalists shortly after the presentation of the handbook on the operations of the Presidential Executive Order at the NIS headquarters.
The minister stated that the recent NIS advertisement was in order to recruit the balance of 1,112 candidates to make it to 2000 as approved in the last aborted recruitment exercise.
He said: “There were two aborted Immigration recruitments that were done. The first one led to fatality and casualties. The second one was dispersed following discovery of so many abnormalities which 2,000 of them were sent home.
“When we came in November 2015, we looked at the whole thing and we discovered for the second one that it was not all the fault of the candidates as such, but it was the process that was followed.
“So we wrote a memo to Mr. president that we should recall those candidates, 2000 of them, so that we can reassess them and the President graciously approved that and we advertised in papers and I think about 1,500 or so reported and out of this number 888 qualified for that recruitments.
“Now the balance of 1, 112 is what we are working on now, that is the reason for the recent advertisement by the Nigerian Immigration Service to recruit that balance of 1,112 and this is the process we are in now.”
Dambazau gave the assurance however that there would be transparency and fairness in the recruitment process.
Also present at the event, the comptroller-general of the NIS, Muhammed Babandede, said his administration would give priority to competency of the.
He stated: “We are going to recruit young officers with priority of those who speak foreign languages such as French, Chinese, Arabic with priority to those who have ICT skills.''
Recall that a similar exercise under Jonathan administration led to the death of some applicants.
NAIJ.com previously reported that in his testimony on June 10 2016, the former comptroller general of Nigerian Immigration Service, David Paradang told a Federal High Court how victims of the botched 2014 NIS recruitment exercise were deceived by the Nigerian government under Goodluck Jonathan.
Paradang said the appointment letters handed over to some of the 45 beneficiaries (three family members each of 15 deceased applicants) were withdrawn by the former minister of interior, Abba Moro.
Paradang also told the court that the NIS recorded a total of 15 deaths after the incident.
Watch this NAIJ.com TV video of a man calling for mass burial for all Nigerian leaders.