JUST IN: JAMB blacklists 48 CBT centres for malpractice in 2017 UTME

JUST IN: JAMB blacklists 48 CBT centres for malpractice in 2017 UTME

- JAMB has blacklisted 48 CBT centres across Nigeria for malpractice in 2017 UTME

- The JAMB registrar, Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, said that 24 other centres were suspended for failing to live up to expectations

- He said that JAMB had fixed July 1, 2017 as the date for supplementary examination for candidates who registered late for this year’s UTME

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board has blacklisted 48 Computer-Based Test centres over their alleged involvement in extortion and organised examination malpractices during the 2017 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination.

NAIJ.com gathered that JAMB’s Registrar, Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, made the disclosure on Wednesday June 14 in Abuja at a news conference at the end of an enlarged meeting with external examiners and other stakeholders in the conduct of the 2017 UTME.

READ ALSO: Hours after dumping APC, Isiaka Adeleke’s brother emerges PDP candidate for Osun bye-election

Oloyede, who also announced the cancellation of the results of 59,698 candidates that sat for the examination, said another 24 CBT centres had been suspended for one year for failing to live up to expectations.

JUST IN: JAMB blacklists 48 CBT centres for malpractice in 2017 UTME

JAMB’s Registrar, Prof. Is-haq Oloyede

“The (24 CBT) centres will not participate in the 2018 UTME, but they can be reconsidered for 2019 and above.

“The de-listing of 48 centres from participating in the board’s examination in future is as a result of serious technical deficiencies, extortion, organised examination malpractices and other damaging infractions.”

He said that JAMB had fixed July 1, 2017 as the date for supplementary examination for candidates who registered late for this year’s UTME.

Oloyede added that some of the candidates whose results were cancelled would also take part in the rescheduled exam.

The JAMB boss said the decision to allow the candidates sit for the rescheduled examination was reached after a thorough review of all the reports that emanated from their centres.

According to him, 1,386 candidates have their results cancelled over examination malpractice; 57,646 results were also affected as a result of centres-induced malpractices; while the results of 666 candidates were cancelled due to multiple examinations.

He listed the categories of candidates whose results were cancelled but who would take part in the rescheduled examination to include candidates of centres with mass malpractices but who are deemed innocent, and those with biometric non-verification machine-related issues.

Others include technical and log-out issues, late registration, incomplete results and candidates who lost examination sessions due to malfunctioning of servers at the affected centres.

NAIJ.com had previously reported that the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) Ishaq Oloyede and its registrar bagged an award for successfully conducting the just concluded examination.

PAY ATTENTION: Watch more videos on NAIJ.com TV

The award, "Ideal Change Agent" given by a coalition of civil society organizations in Nigeria was conferred on the JAMB registrar on Thursday, June 1.

The group, Coalition of Civil Society Organizations for Transparency on Governance while commending Oloyede said the examination board has done well.

(NAN).

You can watch this NAIJ.com video of applicants lamenting the hassles of JAMB registration below:

Source: Naij.com

Related news
BREAKING: Former first lady of Akwa Ibom Imo Isemin dies

BREAKING: Former first lady of Akwa Ibom Imo Isemin dies

BREAKING: Former first lady of Akwa Ibom Imo Isemin dies
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel