Trump moves to address Boko Haram insurgency in Nigeria

Trump moves to address Boko Haram insurgency in Nigeria

- President Donald Trump's administration has said that it will reveal Boko Haram plan

- Trump's administration decision to unveil its Boko Haram plan was contained in a notification letter

- The notification was said to be addressed to the congresswoman by the U.S. Department of State

The Donald Trump administration is expected to reveal to lawmakers its five-year plan to address the Boko Haram rebellion in North-east Nigeria and the Lake Chad region.

According to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Monday, June 13, this is pursuant to a law signed by former U.S. President Barack Obama last December. The law arose from a bill proposed by Congresswoman Fredericka Wilson.

Indication that the Trump administration will unveil its Boko Haram plan that was contained in a notification letter addressed to the congresswoman by the U.S. Department of State.

Trump administration set to release Boko Haram plan

Trump administration set to release Boko Haram plan

READ ALSO: Fashola asks federal government to extend whistle blowing policy to power sector, gives reasons

Last month, U.S. Senator Susan Collins and Wilson led a bipartisan group of 50 members of Congress in writing to the U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, Secretary of Defence James Mattis, and Director of National Intelligence Daniel Coats, requesting an update on their efforts to counter Boko Haram.

In December 2016, legislation introduced by Collins and Wilson was signed into law requiring the U.S. government to develop a comprehensive plan to help the Nigerian government and its partners combat Boko Haram and address the legitimate concerns of affected, vulnerable populations.

Collins and Wilson’s legislation, which responded to the terrorist organisation’s kidnapping of 276 schoolgirls in Nigeria in 2014, directs the Secretary of State, Secretary of Defence, and the Director of National Intelligence to submit to Congress a five-year anti-Boko Haram strategy by June 12, 2017.

PAY ATTENTION: Install our latest app for Android, read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app

“While we were encouraged by the release of 82 of the Chibok schoolgirls…, it is imperative that we remember that many of the girls remain in captivity along with untold hundreds of other women, men, and children who have been kidnapped by Boko Haram,” Collins and Wilson wrote to members of the administration.

“…We look forward to receiving an update on your efforts to develop an anti-Boko Haram strategy and beginning the process of dismantling Boko Haram and reuniting all of the Chibok schoolgirls with their families.”

Meanwhile, NAIJ.com earlier reported that Air Marshal Sadique Abubakar, the chief of the Air Staff (CAS) together with the Branch Chiefs at Headquarters Nigerian Air Force (NAF) on Tuesday June 13, toured to operational facilities at the Nigerian Air Force Bases in Makurdi and Kainji.

The importance of the visit was to monitor the state of the facilities, most of which are critical to the maintenance of the fighter aircraft being employed in the ongoing counterinsurgency operations against the Boko Haram insurgents and other subversive elements in Nigeria.

Air Marshal Abubakar was said to have found most of the equipment to be in a good condition and commended the personnel for their dedication to duty.

Watch this NAIJ.com TV Video of the United States worshiping on the order of President Donald Trump:

Source: Naij.com

Related news
AGF fingered in Maina's secret return, as EFCC begins manhunt

AGF fingered in Maina's secret return, as EFCC begins manhunt

AGF fingered in Maina's secret return, as EFCC begins manhunt
NAIJ.com
Mailfire view pixel