- The federal government will transport parents of released Chibok girls to Abuja
- Two parents or guardians of each of the girls will meet them for the first time since they were released
- The girls were exchanged for some Boko Haram commanders some weeks back
The federal government will convey parents and relatives of the 82 released Chibok girls to meet with their daughters on Friday, May 19.
NAIJ.com had earlier reported that the 82 girls were released on Saturday, May 7, in exchange for some Boko Haram commanders.
The Punch reports that a top security source confirmed that 164 parents and relatives of the 82 Chibok schoolgirls would be taken to Abuja to meet with their girls.
The source said: “82 girls were rescued two weeks ago. Each of the girls is entitled to two parents or two relatives as the case may be which implies that 164 parents or relatives will be conveyed to Abuja by the Federal Government.
“They will be given accommodation and will be reunited with their children/wards on Saturday.”
“A combined team of soldiers, policemen and men of the Department of State Services are expected to escort and coordinate the parents during the journey. For security reasons, I cannot state the course of their journey.
“You can imagine the scandal that it would cause if the parents of Chibok girls were kidnapped. Be assured that the Federal Government will incur all the costs.”
PAY ATTENTION: Read best news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
Mr. Yahi Dwata whose niece, Comfort Bulus, was one of the released girls confirmed the planned meeting with the girls although he said he won’t be joining from Chibok as he was based in Lagos.
He said: “It is true. We are all expected to meet in Abuja on Friday. I am in Lagos so I will not be leaving from Chibok with the others but I have been speaking with Comfort’s mother and the others. We are all happy that after three years, we will be reunited.”
Meanwhile, the Nigeria Army said it has arrested about 126 suspected Boko Haram members.
The army revealed that the suspects were apprehended at the Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs), camp in Damboa, Borno state.
Army chief, Lucky Irabor, made the disclosure while fielding questions from journalists in Maiduguri.
The Major General said the suspects were flushed out during mop up operations.
Irabor said that the mop up was conducted after the Boko Haram terrorists stormed Sabon Gari area in Damboa Local Government area of the state.
Watch this NAIJ.com video of the operation of the Nigerian Airforce in the fight against terrorism below: